Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Literacy on the Go!




Many busy moms live in the car, transporting their little ones throughout the day. Trips to the commissary, PX, Target, swim lesson, gymnastics, preschool, play dates, doctor's appointment, dog groomer, post office...  Well, you get it...days of endless lists of errands.  As a self proclaimed "Queen of Multitasking", I have found a useful way to incorporate literacy into my busy "mommy taxi" days.  I have purchased a series of audio books from iTunes that we listen to whenever we are in the car.  iTunes has a solid selection of popular and classic Early Childhood titles like, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Llama, Llama Red Pajama, Corduroy, The Snowy Day, and many more.  Some book titles sell for as low as $0.95  Also for long trips, iTunes offers a selection of chapter books perfect for little ears, like my little man's personal favorite, The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary.


The absolute best element of using iTunes audio books is the ease of use.  I download my book selections right to my phone, create a playlist of my little man's library and plug in my phone to my car's auxiliary.  Voila!!!  Instant literacy on the go!!!!  


Extension:  If you want to get super fancy with it...download the I Can Read Books and order the corresponding books from Amazon and let your little one follow along with the reader to reinforce beginning reading skills!!


Happy Listening!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online