Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Using the Kitchen as a Classroom


Do you remember cooking in the kitchen with your parents?  When I was about 7 years old, my mom taught me the word, “meniscus” while baking cookies. She showed me how to make exact measurements by leveling off powders with a knife (that she called a straight edge) and how to measure liquids properly by placing the cup on a level surface. She modeled how to bend down to eye level with the measuring cup to find the meniscus (slight dip the liquid makes at the edges of the cup).  It wasn’t until my high school chemistry class that I realized what my mother taught me in childhood was giving me an advantage to the rest of my class.

Involving your children in food preparation is only the beginning to using your kitchen as a classroom.  Reading recipes, breaking down whole numbers into fractions and strengthening fine motor skills by kneading dough are a few of the many benefits to the quality time spent cooking together.  Being exposed to a multi sensory lesson, in which you can taste, smell, touch and see what you are learning activates the brain in such a way that a high school student with learning disabilities will be able to remember a scientific word like “meniscus” 7 years after learning it.  

As parents, we are more powerful than we realize.  Open your kitchen with the intent to empower your children.  Allow them to crack the egg, mix the flower, read the recipes to you.  The internet has a wide range of child friendly recipes to use with your children.  Get started with this recipe booklet published by The First Lady, Michelle Obama: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/healthy-eating-tips/sample-menus-recipes/WhiteHouseRecipes.pdf.  There is no limit to what you and your child can learn together.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I came to your blog and have been reading along your posts. I decided will leave my first comment. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often…

    Meniscus surgery

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online