Thursday, December 15, 2011

Craft Jam: "Christmas is Love" Soup in a Jar.

Three years ago, I received one of the best Christmas gifts from one of my KinderJammers and her Grandmother.  They gave me soup in a jar.  I really appreciated the adorably packaged gift and gave my usual thank you.  However later that week when I was looking for something to cook for my family for dinner, I decided to make the soup in the jar.  It was so yummy and my family absolutely loved it.  The next time I saw the Grandmother, I told her how wonderful the soup was and she shared the recipe.  That year, my three year old and I made an assembly line and made all of his teachers and our friends and loved ones "Christmas is Love" Soup in Jar.  Not only is the soup in a jar an economical gift choice, but it also provides my family with a wonderful activity that we can do together during the holidays.  The thing I love most about this gift is that it gives the recipient a gift twice; once when they receive the pretty package and again when it gives their family a warm and yummy hug at dinnertime.

"Christmas is Love" Soup in a Jar

Layers for a 16oz. Jar:
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 3 tsp.  dried minced onion
  • 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice 
  • 1/4 cup dry green split peas 
  • 1/4 cup pearl barley
  • 1/4 cup dry yellow split peas 
  • 2 tsp.  dried parsley
  • 1/4 cup dry lentils 
  • Then add tri-colored pasta up to the mouth of the jar and pack tightly.  Then seal the jar.

Items for Packaging:

  • 7"x7" square of fabric
  • small rubber band
  • ribbon
  • gift tag/soup directions

Directions for Packaging:
  1. After the jar is tightly sealed, place your 7"x7" square of fabric over the top of the jar and place a small over the fabric, under the lid of the jar.  Trim fabric for neatness if necessary.
  2. Punch a hole in the corner of your gift tag/soup directions and insert your ribbon through the hole.
  3. Tie your ribbon tightly under the lid of the jar. Then tie a bow.
Gift Tag/Soup Directions Reads:

“Christmas is Love” Soup

1. Pour the contents of this jar and 8 cups of your favorite broth into a pot.
2. Chop one stalk of celery. Slice one carrot. Add to the pot.
3. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender (about an hour).
4. Before serving, and one cup of diced tomatoes.
From our family to yours, Enjoy!!!!

*This is a great idea for teacher, command, or FRG gifts.  You can select fabric the base on the occasion of the gift.

 Printable Gift Tags:
For PC: Right click on the image below and select "Print Picture".

For Mac: Right click on the image below and select "Open in New Window". Click on the image to zoom out. Then print

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online